Saturday, January 28, 2012

can't wait to see you

it's funny how time changes things.

just over two months ago, i was desperate to get home after a long, drawn-out term that had been both physically and emotionally draining which was topped by, to put it bluntly, an extremely unkind exam timetable that saw me writing five of my eight exams one after the other. 

i reached near breaking point on Thanksgiving Day, three exams into my five-exam haul, and ended up writing this rather melancholic post as an outlet for how blah i was feeling, as well as an attempt to see... something good in my days, despite how i was feeling. then i put on my brave face, rolled up my sleeves, ate a couple pounds of chocolate (well, not quite... but close enough!), soldiered through my last two exams, packed my mountainous amount of junk up into boxes and suitcases and hit the road. (figuratively, you understand.)

fast forward 9 weeks.

tomorrow - exactly 63 days since making my way home - my sister and i will clamber aboard an early-bird Kulula flight (6:55AM may just equal death, but i'll get back to you on that one) and make our way back to the borough of GHT. 

i know i'll miss home - especially in these last few days, i've experienced things so unique to this town that they made my heart simultaneously swell with love for it and ache to be separated from it - but it's time to go. i'm excited about starting second year - about being reunited with some of the beings i love the most in this world, seeing old friends again, getting to know and love new people, diving into my studies (which may sound weird... but SRSLY, i'm keen!), writing songs and being amazed by the goodness that is my bandmates, being actively involved in the society committees of which i form a part, learning to play tennis (*cue much laughter here, folks*), walking around town, debating and dancing and singing and studying and laughing and living... the list goes on.

something i'm MOST excited about this year is sharing my varsity world with one of the most beautiful girls i know. the wonderful Cathryn - easily one of my best friends in this life - is starting her first year at Rhodes. i found out yesterday that she'll be living in a res that's about five minutes away from my own. i couldn't be more thrilled at the thought of getting to live in the same town as this girl (if you know her, you'll know what i'm talking about) - and not even in the same town, but so close! it fills me up to the absolute brim with joy... careful, i might just overflow with it all right now :)

so, here's to second year... 

can't wait to see you, i can't wait to hold you.


No comments: