Friday, February 22, 2013

How to write a Taylor Swift song

tomorrow's CATURDAY (!) and i have something Really Awesome in the pipelines, but i couldn't help but share this with y'all - i found it in the HelloGiggles archives and couldn't stop giggling during - and after - reading it. this probably has a fair amount to do with the fact that i've been listening to Ms Swift a good deal in the past few weeks (much to the horror of my favourite neighbour Ayanda, who has scolded me for being "weak"). in any case, i agree with everything that Adele says here and couldn't have said it any better, so i thought i'd share her gem of a post here for everyone else to appreciate :) if you'd like to read more of Adele's musings, head on over to her blog. and now... on with the show!
_______________________________________________________________________
Let me begin this post by admitting it. I love Taylor Swift. Her music makes me feel like it’s okay to still feel young and out of place and a little cheesy sometimes. I also wish that my generation had grown up with a pop star more like her and less like the sex-bots of the ’90s. However, I can’t deny that there are recurring patterns in most of her songs. So let me break down for you the key steps to creating the perfect T-Swizzle Tune.
The beginning and ending of the song should be the same line. 
The beginning is full of hope usually, whereas the ending of the song is either filled with heartbreak or a sense of moving on. Prime examples:
“We were both young when I first saw you” - Love Story
“You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors” - Fifteen 
“Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street” - Red
“I bet this time of night you’re still up
I bet you’re tired from a long hard week
I bet you’re sitting in your chair by the window
Looking out at the city
And I bet sometimes you wonder about me” - I Almost Do
There must be some mention of “pouring rain” or even just “rain”.
Some songs where Taylor talks about rain (usually pouring): Fearless, Hey Stephen, Forever and Always, Sparks Fly, Last Kiss.
Does it rain a lot when she’s getting her heart broken? That seems awfully/oddly appropriate.
Talk about driving in a car, someone’s hair in the car and passenger seats.
Aw, yes. The classic nostalgic car times.
Like in Fearless as he walked her to her car and they drove and she was in the passenger’s seat and he ran his hands through his hair.
Or in Back to December as she watched her love laugh from the passenger’s side.
Or in Red when his love was like “driving a new Maserati down a dead end street”.
Plus, we can’t forget All Too Well when he almost ran a red light because he was staring at her… and her hair was blowing in the wind.
And did I forget to mention Begin Again, when prospective guy #??? walked her to her car. How we’ve come full circle. I get it Tay Tay! Cars are romantic or something. Ugh.
Be sure to say what day of the week “the moment” happened.
You know what I mean. Like today I found Vegan Cookie Dough at the health store and I thought “I better remember that this was a Saturday for when I write a song about this love affair”. Or, in Taylor’s case, it’s when she has significant moments with a boy!! EEE (what I remember that feeling like, it’s been a while)!!!
In You Belong With Me it was just a typical Tuesday night when she was listening to the kind of music her crush’s girlfriend wouldn’t like cause she didn’t know his story like Taylor did…obviously.
It was a Tuesday night when she caught Joe Jonas’ eye in Forever and Always…hmm Tuesday nights seem to be popular so far.
In latest news: on a Wednesday in a cafe she watched love Begin Again.
Make mention of stairwells.
Seriously. Shiz does not get real until stairwells/stairs come into the story. Know why? because stairs lead to beds, which lead to sexy time. I’m onto you T-Gurl.
In Love Story she was crying on those stairs begging him not to go.
In White Horse she cried because she wouldn’t be the one he swept off her feet and led up the stairwell.
She requested to be led up the stairwell and whispered to soft and slow in Sparks Fly.
Taylor remembers All Too Well how they were down the stairs dancing in the refrigerator light…a little hard on the utility bill I imagine, but hey whatever floats your boat.
Doesn’t hurt to name the song after a popular movie.
Love Story.
Dear John.
The Story Of Us.
Enchanted.
Red.
The Lucky One.
I rest my case.
Well gentle readers, I hope this has been informative. I know this is more research than I’ve done on an article ever. Now I feel sad. Stay posted for the first time I follow my own steps and share a Taylor Swift song of my own. Or don’t. You could be waiting a long time.
_______________________________________________________________________

oh, and to prove that i love Tay Tay, i'm gonna share this video with you - the infamous Sophia Grace and Rosie (of The Ellen Show fame) having tea and gossiping with none other than Ms Swifty.


precious, no? :D

No comments: